Friday, March 12, 2010

Tutorial #1 - Magic Lighting Effect in Photoshop

Hello and welcome to A Photoshop A Day!

My name is Stephanie and I hope to teach you a thing or two about the wonderful world of Photoshop by stealing other people's ideas.
I'm going to attempt to take one Photoshop tutorial a day, write about my process and problems, and then rate it on its clarity, ease of use, handiness, and overall coolness.

But enough about me. Let's get down to business!

Today's tutorial is entitled, "Magic Lighting Effect in Photoshop" created by Fabio Sasso.

And for all you shooping noobs, his .psd is available for download at the very end of the tutorial.

His end result is a bit of html, magically streaming out of a magician's top hat, complete with SPARKLES.

My end result is Edward Hill dying of electrified DNA or somethin'.

Before:


After:


At least it's still sparkly.

This tutorial took much longer than I thought it would and didn't turn out nearly as well as I had hoped.
The screen shots of the settings were very small and hard to read, while his written instructions were usually only one sentence (and not much help to many who commented.) He pretty much leaves it up to the reader to figure the details out on their own.
After an hour of trial and error, my result was no where near as eye catching as his example image was.
The best advice I can give? Layering is your friend and when in doubt, use color dodge.

I'm sorry, Mr. Hill.

Length of time: Longer than 35 minutes.
Level: Intermediate.
Clarity:
Handiness:
Cool factor: (If it would have worked.)
Source: http://abduzeedo.com/magic-lighting-effect-photoshop

No comments:

Post a Comment